We have identified the root cause of the Unit Status and Personnel Status issues that have been occurring for the last few weeks. The issue itself was presented as an old fixed issue which lead us to believe it was a deployment issue causing old code to reactivate. But after we paused deployments and moved underlying servers to ensure that could not be the case the issue still presented itself after a time period. Over the weekend we had to install new logging to try and tack the issue down and on Monday we identified the root cause and deployed a hotfix. We will have to monitor the system as-is through the week to ensure the issue itself is fully fixed.